Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lazy no more!

The other day, I was texting back and forth with my sister.  After one of her texts, I found myself looking for the “Like” button, of the Facebook variety.  I laughed at myself (who wouldn’t?), of course.  It’s kind of like the dozens of times I was in the car listening to the radio, and when I missed a little something, I looked for the “rewind” button, only to realize that radio does not have DVR like my TV does. 

Anyway, as a result, a little later on I started to lament the ways in which I have become kind of lazy.  I mean, we have all these technological tools to keep in touch, and I was just too lazy to type a four letter word- I wanted a short cut.  It was a funny thing, but I need some improvement.
In the spirit of my last blog, I am owning up to my laziness.  Yes, today, I have decided to blog again about weight loss- I apologize for being boring and redundant, but this is what’s on my mind lately.  And hey- it’s my blog, I’ll do what I want!  ;-)
I have been trying to take things slowly [i.e. lazily] in the weight loss department.  I kind of eased my way into this [and by “eased”  I mean that I started, stopped, started, stopped, gained even more weight, started, stopped...you get the picture], and continued to talk myself into reasons why it was ok for me to continue on the path I was on.  Basically, I have been taking it easy for nine months, and if I am completely and totally honest with myself, it really hasn’t gotten me anywhere but full of excuses and ill-fitting clothing. 
I finally feel like I am finding my groove this last week or so[“How Jill got her groove back” is not that interesting of movie, but I am a blogger- not a screen writer].  To keep the groove going, I am going to share my goal with “the internet” (and my one faithful subscriber- thanks Peggy):

GOAL:  I will get back to my wedding weight.
 

That’s not an uncommon goal, I know.  It's such a common goal that it probably sounds cliche.  However, I want to get there in twelve weeks.   I have set my deadline for Hadley’s first birthday party, which will be the first weekend in May.  It would be even better if I could reach the goal a week prior to that, in time for my cousin Laura’s wedding in Portland, but I won’t push it. 
Side note:  My Mom has been on her own little journey, and recently found herself back very close to the skinny minnie that she was at my wedding.  Her accomplishment has inspired my current goal.  Props to you, Momma. 
Anyway...While I am too much of a chicken to go broadcasting my actual weight to the world, I do feel some sort of sick need to shame myself into submission.  So, I will also tell you, my lovely Reader, that this goal means that I will need to lose about 17% of my body weight since I started.  Thankfully, I have already lost a little.  Not so thankfully, my weight loss thus far has been extremely meager. 
This is an aggressive goal, but I think it is an attainable one.  I won’t have to go all “Biggest Loser” crazy to do it.  I can lose the weight in a healthy way. 
Here are the ways in which I plan to make it happen (anyone care to add some suggestions?  Help a sister out!):
  • I will eat well and control my portions.  For me, the portion control is the hardest tackle, by far.  Here is a “pin” that I found, which I am going to follow. 

  • I will find a  way to work out every day, even if it just involves doing floor work and Hadley-lifts/lunges at home in front of the TV (that’s harder than you’d think, I’m telling you…but a great idea for some of you Moms out there who feel guilty leaving the baby - the baby loves it).
  • I will set some intermediate goals and rewards.  For example, when I can once again fit into my “kinda-fat” jeans (as opposed to my current “really-fat” jeans), I will use the gift certificate from my wonderful former co-workers and go to the spa for a massage.  Another pinterest inspiration find:

  • I will sign up for, and stick to, a free group fitness class at the YMCA.  Preferably something that sculpts/tones (I am a cardio queen when I am on my own, but I have a hard time finding motivation to do the strength-building exercises).  I will use my Dailey Method gift certificate to workout, but also as an excuse to go see Michelle's new studio (Hi Michelle!). 
  • I will try to get a second workout in, 2-3 days out of each week.  I don’t want to do that every day- that seems kind of crazy.  However,  I think that a couple times a week is a reasonable goal, and a good way to speed up the weight loss.
  • I will not deprive myself of all the “good stuff”, but I will make sure that the “good stuff” is eaten in appropriate portions, and that I do what I need to do in the workout department to make up for it.
  • When a craving hits, I will wait at least ten minutes (preferably 20+) and distract myself with something constructive.  If the craving is still ridiculous, then I will let myself have it, provided I follow the rules from the previous objective.
  • I will not use any of the excuses that I fessed up to in my previous blog entry. 

Like my latest “Pinterest” find says:  No one said it would be easy, but it will be WORTH IT.
Here goes nothing…

No comments:

Post a Comment